Tuesday, August 28, 2012

~ A Life Fulfilled ~





"Blanche" looking at me from the stock trailer.
For many years I longed to raise livestock.  As a young woman, I had a desire to raise sheep.  As I got older, I thought about cattle.  At the age of 51, I've had the pleasure of raising both! My beautiful flock of sheep & my funny steer...... stirred my spirit, taught me patience, showed me love, frustrated me, made me laugh, made me cry.  Every morning for 7 years, I greeted these girls with, "good morning girls."  I walked up to the barn, leaned against the ol' fence railing and talked to them, they listened.  Food was disbursed, grain was hand fed out of a bucket, treats were given.........organic animal cookies were there favorite.

I've been with each one of them during their deliveries of lambs.......for 7 years.  I've nursed wounds, sore bodies & rubbed their heads and bum for 7 years.  I've massaged them during the last days of gestation & delivery.  I've helped them clean their new baby's, even washing their sore tushes with warm water after delivery.

Making the decision to sell them was the hardest decision I've ever had to make.  Honestly, divorcing my first husband was easier, as callus as they made sound, it's the truth.  I will miss these girls, but I will never forget them.  In a very spiritual way, these girls taught me a whole lot about my life.  I pray that in some small way, I imparted some small hint of something.......maybe love.......I hope they know how much I love(d) them.........................




No comments:

Post a Comment